More Mods. Arts and crafts.
If this were a production bike, it would use forks designed specifically for cable routing. However, since it's a custom project, I needed to find a way to conceal the cable port. This called for some arts and crafts, as there were no online instructions for this process and professional painters seemed uninterested in working on just a fork.
Thankfully, I had an internet friend experienced in composites who offered advice. I began by masking the area around the cable port and cutting it off with an X-Acto knife. It turned out to be a molded plastic part with a liner and minimal carbon. I then sanded the area flat.
To plug the hole and achieve a good finish, I used a two-part epoxy putty with a filler, as advised. Though intended for doors, it worked well. After a few days of curing, I sanded it smooth.
Sry 'bout the socks
Sry 'bout the socks
Sry 'bout the socks
Sry 'bout the socks
Next, I re-masked the fork and applied a single coat of gloss black Montana Gold spray paint in a symmetrical design to cover the worked area. I used automotive "scratch remover" to even out the paint.
To add depth, I applied a single coat of varnish over the black. The results exceeded my expectations.
However, since Montana Gold and are alcohol-soluble and the bike would also encounter DOT fluid, I used a Preval Sprayer and Cerakote Matte Clear for the final layer. Although I lost the 3T graphic, I was pleased with the outcome, which held up well after being wiped down with rubbing alcohol.
I performed all the spraying in a shed using a cardboard box and wore a respirator for safety.

You may also like

Back to Top